Sunday, July 31, 2011

Taste Sensations



My father-in-law has a word he uses to describe something which tastes exceptionally fabulous:  "succulent".  I like it.  That's what I'm talking about.


This was so yummy there's none left to see.
Piquant.  Truly.
Some of the best tastes in the world include the fresh piquant zing of lemon and creamy, dreamy, melt-in-your-mouth chocolate.   





Are you impressed by my use of the word “piquant?”  It means “pleasantly pungent or tart in taste.”  Today I’ve got recipes to satisfy each of those particular cravings.  Maybe you don’t crave such things.  Feel free to comment about what you do crave at the end of this blog.  I’m actually working on developing a craving for Activia peach yogurt (you may think you know what it’s for, but it really does taste good) because that’s so much better for me than the foods I’m talking about today.
First of all, lemons are amazing.  They are beautiful, they smell fantastic, and they taste great with sugar, on seafood, in iced tea… my mouth is watering just from typing this.
One of my absolute favorite desserts is Lemon Sponge Pie.  I feel it is misnamed, because a pie named after a cleaning implement is not very appetizing.  And the pie doesn’t even strike me as being particularly spongy.  My mother makes a most excellent Lemon Sponge Pie and I have already requested that she make one for my next birthday-- which is momentous since she has been baking chocolate cakes for me every November for forever.  Many decades.  Of scrumptious chocolate cakes.  But I'm ready for something new!
Enough introduction.  Here is the recipe handed down from my “Square Pink Marshmallow” grandma--see previous post
Lemon Sponge Pie
¼ c. melted butter
1 c. sugar
3 Tbsp. flour
3 slightly beaten egg yolks
1 lemon, juice and peel
1 ½ c. milk
3 stiffly beaten egg whites

Blend butter, sugar and flour.  Add agg yolks, lemon juice and grated peel, and milk.  Fold in egg whites.  Pour into crust.  Bake at 450 degrees for 8 minutes, then at 325 degrees for 25 minutes.  Cool, then keep chilled in refrigerator.

Bake one for yourself.  And tell me how smooth and wonderful it is especially on a hot summer day.

You won't believe how good this is 'til you try it.
But… sometimes you just need chocolate.  Warm, thick, melty chocolate is even better. 
This is Bekah.  Isn't she cute?  She & Katie totally agree with me about chocolate.  Did I ever tell you that I told Katie in 2nd grade that one of the official food groups was chocolate and she went and told her teacher about this, thinking I was serious.  Bad Mommy.
Katie & Bekah made a fabulous gourmet dinner for Wayne & I on our anniversary in June.  For dessert, we had Amazing Peanut Butter-Chocolate Molten Cake.  This dessert may have stayed on my waistline for two weeks, but it was worth it.  Unbelievable.  They said it was easy to make too.  I haven’t tried it again yet to test it, but I believe them.  They are pretty reliable girls.
Amazing Peanut Butter-Chocolate Molten Cake
4 squares semi-sweet chocolate
½ c. butter
1 c. powdered sugar
2 whole eggs
2 egg yolks
6 Tbsp. flour
4 oz. cream cheese, softened
3 Tbsp. creamy peanut butter
2 Tbsp. brown sugar
¼ tsp. vanilla
½ c. thawed Cool Whip

Preheat oven to 425 degrees.  Microwave chocolate and butter in large bowl on high 1 to 1 ½ minutes or until chocolate is almost melted.  Stir with whisk until chocolate is completely melted.  Stir in powdered sugar.  Blend in whole eggs and egg yolks.  Stir in flour; set aside.  Mix cream cheese, peanut butter, brown sugar and vanilla until well blended.

Pour half the chocolate batter into a 1 qt. soufflé dish sprayed with cooking spray; cover with layers of cream cheese mixture and remaining chocolate batter.

Bake 20 minutes or until edge is set but center is still slightly soft.  Cool slightly.  Serve topped with Cool Whip.

Is this picture too big?  I didn't think so.
Note:  you can substitute 7 custard cups for the soufflé dish.  Place filled custard cups on baking sheet; bake at 425 degrees for 13-14 minutes or until edges are set but centers are still slightly soft.  continue as directed.
----------
So, there you have it.  Two amazing, mouth-watering recipes.  I want some RIGHT NOW!  But alas, no one is here to make it for me and I’m too hot and lazy to make it for myself.  I know!  Chocolate pudding is cold, and easy.  Perfect!  And here are some bonus pictures from our fabulous anniversary dinner in June...


Ozzie is just so ugly,  he's cute.

Our chefs and servers.  Aren't they dear?

The happy couple (didn't mean to be matchy-matchy).

Sweet Katie with the main course.

2 comments:

  1. WOW! I printed out the recipes- they look yummy. Send the server girls my way! What cute matching outfits they had on--- and you and Wayne too= nothing wrong with coordinating. :)
    Ozzie IS cute. My craving: Good & Plenty candies.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love it that the happy couple is so matchy matchy and that the servers are barefoot. I am going to make that lemon sponge, I have to make a regular lemon pie this weekend. Maybe I will make both and see if they like the sponge better as it looks easier. As usual great post

    ReplyDelete