Thursday, March 22, 2012

Gird Up Your Loins, Girl! Part 1

My daughter is so cute.  I mean that in a literal way.  She is petite and beautiful, which equals cute.  Here's some pictures of her cute self.






She is also cute because she does cute things.  Right now she is freaking out over an ultimatum I gave her.  She applied for a summer job and sort of got an offer, but nothing is nailed down.  She has only communicated with said future employer by email.  The ultimatum is that if he doesn't respond via email today, she MUST pick up the phone and call him.  Aye yi yi!  (I don't know how that should be spelled, do you?)  She is so "concerned" about this that she texted me from school today, which is illegal for her, by the way.

Here's how our conversation went:
10:29 a.m. B:  I'm dreading coming home today.  meh!!!
Mom (that's me):  Oh my word.  Gird up ur loins girl! [we used that Biblical expression at the dinner table last night regarding gathering up your courage to do things you don't want to do].  He probly wont even aswer the phone.  I will give u chocolate... [we know what each other is saying even with all the typos and shortcuts].
10:32 a.m.  B:  I checked my email a little bit ago and there was nothing!!!!!  I hope he doesnt answer and then when he listens to the message he will be like, 'oh i need to email her back! Ill do that right now!'  Yay!!!! Chocolate ;)
Mom:  Hahahaha
2:36 p.m.  B:  Ahhh!!! :(
Mom:  [No answer because the daughter is getting ready to drive home presumably and definitely cannot read or respond to texts then]
2:43 p.m.  B:  Hey! Im gonna stop at the outlets and get a pair of flip flops at old navy real quick.  Eventhough i just want to get this stupid call overr with.
Mom:  I bet u r running away from home.
B:  You caught me!

So, you can see that she is freaking out.  Calling people on the phone is not her forte.  Mine neither.  My friend, Cynthia, and I have a running joke.  She hates calling people on the phone too, so we don't talk on the phone very often!  It's quite a treat when one of us calls the other, because we know we have to gird up our loins to do it.  Actually she doesn't know anything about girding up her loins, because I've never used that expression with her.  But she does it sometimes anyhow.  I'm going to get back to girding up loins in a minute because it's quite fascinating.

But meanwhile, back to Bekah.  She gets home from school after stopping at Old Navy.  I hid inside and watched her come in the sidewalk so I could snap a picture:  I suspected she would look something like this, and she did not disappoint!




Remember that kids book "Alexander's Terrible Horrible No-Good Rotten Day" or something like that?  She looks like Alexander.

 Then I took this picture as she was holding the phone getting ready to make the call while she was saying, "Why are you taking my picture??!"  She didn't know I was going to blog about her.  She got black flip flops because she's not a frilly pink kind of girl.

Then... drum roll please...  she made the phone call.  About 60 seconds later the deed was done and here's how she looked.

This is the face of relief.  And the phone call went well.  We think.  She probably has a summer job.  Or at least she doesn't not have a summer job.

Now I could stop here and this blog would be plenty long.  In fact, I will stop here.  Tune in tomorrow for "Gird Up Your Loins, Girl! Part 2" to find out where that expression comes from in the Bible and how it's used.  Absolutely fascinating!  (But I don't know what I'll use for pictures...)


1 comment:

  1. hahah I love this! I think I'll be using the phrase "gird up your loins" from now on.... Bekah is such a good sport...letting you blog about her ;)

    ReplyDelete