Tuesday, May 1, 2012

Clothesline Bliss

Ah.  The sun is shining, the grass is green.  The butterflies are fluttering and crashing joyously into my picture window.  It's spring and time for me to start hanging my laundry outside again.
My mother still hangs her wash out all the time.  And I mean ALL the time, even when it freezes fast to the line.  Not me. I'm a fair-weather-hanger-upper.

However, as you may know, we moved over the winter.  My "new" house did not have a clothesline-- gasp!  We couldn't figure out where it should go that wouldn't be too unsightly.  The house also did not have a patio.  My brain churned around on these things during the dark, cold days of winter and came up with the brilliant (at least I hope it turns out to be brilliant) idea of putting up retractable clotheslines around the patio.

What a lovely breezy day!

When the wash is dry, the lines will zip back into their holders and the patio will be unadorned by flapping skivvies.



 But the best thing is that I can hang up clothes while standing on dry concrete!  I've spent decades fussing to myself about newly mown grass, mud and dew sticking to my feet.  This just seems rather decadent to me, but I loved it this morning when the grass was soaking wet from a rain shower.


This picture has nothing to do with hanging up clothes, but it does have to do with the new patio.  Our friend Brian built this fire pit for us.  I can taste those s'mores already!


I snapped this cute bee hovering over a rhododendron blossom near the patio.  I've included here because I love this picture.  I think I'll make it my background for my desktop.


And this is an extra bonus for you because I have a thing about taking pictures of flowers with raindrops.

And just so you don't worry:  I've promised Wayne that I'll make sure laundry is not hanging around the patio when we entertain.  But my brain is at it again:  maybe we could hang chinese lanterns from the clothesline... hm...

1 comment:

  1. I've never even heard of a retractable clothesline! That is AWESOME!

    ReplyDelete