Monday, June 6, 2011

I Can’t Even Imagine…

…just how popular one song can be.
And you can’t imagine how annoyed I get when “I Can Only Imagine” comes on the radio.  Yes, I’m talking about that beautiful song recorded by Mercy Me way back in 2001.  When it came out I enjoyed listening to it just like everyone else.  So, how have I come to this state of utter loathing for such a meaningful song about Heaven, you may ask?  The problem is that the song is 10 years old.  10 years.  And they continue to play it constantly on the radio station I listen to most (88.3 The Word FM).  Like three times a day.  Every day.  For ten years.  That’s 10,950 times.  Apparently other people don’t mind that sort of over-playing, but it haunts me everywhere I go.  Even when I turn on other radio stations-- Christian, country, pop... stations-- there it is!  My family members know to automatically change the station when as soon as they here the melodic intro.  They dive for the channel-changer before Mom goes off on another rant.


You should know that I haven’t always been like this.  I believe it was about three years ago that I plunged over the "Imagine" edge.  Apparently I had docilely listened to the song over 7,500 times before I began my revolt. I even went through a stage where I forced myself to listen closely to the lyrics just in case I had missed something.  But I think I pretty well absorbed it after the first 1,000 "listenings."

In case you are skeptical and thinketh I doth exaggerate, some Wikipedia statistics may be in order:  ” "I Can Only Imagine" is so far the most successful song to date by MercyMe and perhaps the most successful CCM single ever.”  It has sold over 1 million digital copies and has been certified platinum—the first Christian single ever to reach that distinction.  It was also a hit on mainstream and country charts.   A LOT of people like that song!

Hold on a minute—I’m just going to shut off the radio and turn on Pandora.  Yes, you can be sure I’ve already “thumbs-downed” I Can Only Imagine on my Pandora account, so it will never play there again.  If I ever get nostalgic for it, I can just turn the radio back on… it's sure to play in a few minutes.


P.S.  I’ve named my favorite Pandora station "Broadway".  (Pandora is internet radio where you make your own “station”, selecting some favorite songs and artists.  Pandora plays those songs and others which are similar, allowing you to continually refine your selections by “thumbs-upping or –downing” each song).  “Broadway” includes show tunes, big band music from the 40s and 50s, and people like Frank Sinatra, Rosemary Clooney, Bing Crosby and Ella Fitzgerald.  My second favorite Pandora station is called “The Chordettes” after the 50s group which recorded whimsical favorites including “Lollipop” and “Mr. Sandman.”  You may think my taste in music is questionable and be tempted to disregard my views on the infamous Mercy Me tune.  That’s certainly your prerogative.  Oh!  Gotta go!  They’re playing my song…  “Some enchanted evening, you will meet a stranger….”

No comments:

Post a Comment