Thursday, June 9, 2011

Pedal Pushers

Not everybody has a bike, or likes to ride one¸ or has a good place to ride one.  Well, don’t fret, because I’m going to take you with me today!  It just so happens that my dear Biker-Guy-Husband got me a very nice bike a couple of years ago and I like to ride a couple of times a week for the exercise.  I don’t really like to exercise.  That sounds sweaty and stinky and conjures up images of red faces and damp socks.  Ew.   But… I don’t want to get old and flabby.  The old part is inevitable, and I’ve found that flabby is really easy and happens without trying.  So, I ride my bike because I have to.

Now comes the good part.  I live in an area with gorgeous country roads.  Yes, I have to deal with those rolling Pennsylvania hills, but the sights and scents are absolutely spectacular.  Come on now!  Hop on your virtual bike and ride with me today.  (Since your bike is virtual, you can have any color, any number of speeds… AND you can have a matching helmet.  You do still have to wear a helmet).  My bike is pearly white.  I’m thinking of naming her “Althea” but I’m not sure yet. My car’s name is Chad, but that’s another story for another day.  Pull on your spandex shorts and let’s go!

Yeah, this is as much as you're gonna see of my spandex shorts.



Bikes get to go where cars can't.

An old holey-floored bridge.


Breath deep.  Aaah.  Honeysuckle is one of my all-time favorite things and it's everywhere this time of year.  Mmmm.


Didn't notice the dew til I disembarked from my bike.  Who knew crown vetch could be so gorgeous!


It's always fun to ride past farms.  I like 'em.

Feel the cool breeze coming off the creek.  Stop here on the bridge for a minute and listen to the trickling water.

Breathe deep again.  Smell those pine trees coming up?  Mmm.

The smells are some of the best things about our ride today-- new-mown hay!  (Fortunately I have no seasonal allergies!)

Katie's favorite house.  Give it a wave as you ride by.
I personally have a thing for old white farmhouses.  Love the balcony, old pump and windmill at this one!

Hop off, grab your water bottle & take a break on this bridge.
Watch out for the poison.

Serenity.


A little creepy?  Yes, but cool too.

Does your virtual bike have a little bell like mine?  It's good for telling squirrels to get out of the way, or to warn people that you're coming up behind them.  It's not nice to startle critters or people.
Guess we better stay on the road.

Watch your speed, people!

It's a hot day and the flies are biting.  Hiya, hosses!

Whoa! This huge flock of Canadian geese just flew over our heads.  Luckily nothing fell from the sky.

A new landmark for my ride.  I call it The Castle.

Old farmhouses are just so charming!  It's nice that we get to see so many along our route.

Amber waves of grain.  These wheat fields are awesome as the stalks bend & sway gracefully in the breeze.

Can't believe we haven't seen one single cow today.  I like to say Hi to them when they're out.

We did it!  Back home again, feeling virtuous about accomplishing a ride.
 

How do you feel?  Are you energized from the ride, or do your legs feel like noodles?  I hope you went for this ride before it got too hot, because it’s a scorcher today!  Thanks for coming with me.  It’s been fun!








3 comments:

  1. Thanks Lisa for taking me along on your beautiful ride! It is so hot down here and the scenery isn't nearly as pretty. (at least right in my local biking area)

    Now I can check exercising off my to do list today and get on with the mundane chores such as laundry!

    Let me know when the next ride will be as I'll want to go along with you again!!

    Love, Judy

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete