Saturday, February 9, 2013

Dawn's Early Light



Don't you love a fresh new day?  It's especially nice having a fresh new day at the beginning of a fresh new year!  I've been learning that what happens in my head and heart before I even get out of bed in the morning makes a big difference in my day-- even before dawn's early light at this time of year.

I used to wake up and lay in bed for a while thinking about everything that I needed to do that day-- and dreading it.

The grumbling in my head would continue while I'd stumble out of bed, hair spiking out every which way, patting the nightstand to find my glasses. "Why does it have to be dark when I wake up?"  "I'm gonna shoot that dog!  Does he really have to go out NOW?"  "Ugh. I don't waaannna get up yet."  "I don't even want to step on the scales this morning."  Charming, huh?  It didn't really matter how early or late it was, I'm just not a naturally happy riser.

For about a month now, I've been trying to change things a bit.  When I wake up, I try to remember to  "take my thoughts captive" right away.  You know that verse?  It's from 2 Corinthians 10:5.  Taking thoughts captive is no easy task.  They fight back and they often escape-- they are quite slippery and devious.  But if I can remember to corral them in the morning, it really helps.  I just stay in bed for a few minutes, praying, focusing on thanking God for the coming day and trusting Him with it, and then thinking about some good aspects of the day in front of me.  Although this practice does nothing to tame my crazy morning hair (or breath), it's refreshing to get up with a heart at peace.  Just so you know, this is also a good idea because the Bible tells me so.  Check out these verses:


Psalm 101:8  "Every morning I will put to silence all the wicked (thoughts) in the land."


Psalm 143:8  "Let the morning bring me word of your unfailing love, for I have put my trust in you."


Psalm 90:14  "Satisfy us in the morning with your unfailing love, that we may sing for joy and be glad all our days.


Psalm 59:16  "But I will sing of your strength, in the morning I will sing of your love; for you are my fortress, my refuge in times of trouble."


Of course, the hard part is maintaining this joyful, peaceful heart after my feet hit the floor--just ask my  long-suffering husband!  But it's easier to return to a peaceful place when I've already been there earlier in the day.  I bet you're already out of bed now, but if you need some "early morning peace", why not visualize yourself back under those cozy covers and give what's left of your day to God, thank Him for something, and think of something good to look forward to yet today.

I can imagine how great it would be to do the same thing after I crawl back into bed for the night. 

I Chronicles 23:30"They were also to stand [or curl up in bed?] every morning to
 thank and praise the Lord.  They were to do the same in the evening."


3 comments:

  1. Love this, and it seems easier now to comment even though I am listed as Richard. Anyway he would love it to, if I could get him to read it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had a dream,, and I knew I was in heaven. I was out in the beauty of creation in a little row boat with a small motor. My left hand was on a golden retriever laying by my side, my right hand was on the little motor handle. The snow covered peaks were around me and it was like a river. Anyway, there was a loud song singing "My Cherie O More" by Stevie Wonder. I was at total peace, total joy, no worry, no anxiety just about the best I think I've ever felt. I awoke and really believed I had been in heaven. I try not to let that experience fade and it was like the LORD told me to continue to go there to that place. I know we can abide there... I also know we're just passing through. I know His heaven/presence continues to surround us and we just need to open our eyes and hearts to see HIM all around us. Ps.. the song was a love song to me from the Lord and I felt deeply loved! What more could a heart desire.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete