Tuesday, August 6, 2013

High School Reunion

1978 was a long time ago now.  35 years as a matter of fact.  It's the year I graduated from high school.  Jimmy Carter was president, serial killers Ted Bundy and John Wayne Gacy were captured, Moonies were handing out carnations in airports and big cities, J.R. Ewing became a household name, Grease starring John Travolta and Olivia Newton John was released, the Susan B. Anthony dollar coin was supposed to replace dollar bills, 909 Americans died in the Jonestown Koolaid massacre, and I believe my pastor was born that year. We all wanted Farrah Fawcett hair, leisure suits looked slightly less stupid than they do now, and if you had Jordache jeans all was well. I was driving my parents' cars, either their Mercury Capri or their Ford Ranchero (I hated driving the Ranchero.  It failed to start more than once, leaving me stranded after my shift running the cash register at Woolworths).  But my dad ingeniously cut apart a Chevy Vega that summer and mounted part of it on the back of our Ranchero for an epic road trip to the west coast and back.


Of course my brother and I rode in the Vega's bucket seats while my parents traveled in the Ranchero.  It was all very safe, I'm sure, ahem.  We did have working windshield wipers and a Radio Shack intercom to communicate between the two compartments.  How else were we supposed to get four people and a pop-up camper across the country?

But I digress.  Let's see.  1978.  Class reunion.  Well, I noticed that we've all gotten rather old-looking.  Some of us were unrecognizable (at least three people called me Connie and my name is Lisa).  Others' looks had miraculously barely changed.  It's nice that people are grownups now.  Everyone got along and was friendly.  The big questions were "where are your kids these days" and "how are your parents doing" and "do you have any grandchildren yet".  Didn't seem like people were too concerned with status or popularity or accomplishments.  It was rather refreshing.  And at my table we didn't even reminisce about high school.  We were too busy saying things like, "Who is that guy over there in the blue shirt?  Whoa!  Seriously?"

I didn't want to go to my reunion because social gatherings are always somewhat uncomfortable for me.  But I'm glad I went.  It was enlightening to re-cast my stale 35-year-old perception of my classmates.  I'd love to hear your comments about reunions you've attended.  You can leave them at the bottom of this blog, or on my Square Pink Marshmallow facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/SquarePinkMarshmallows. By the way, I'd love it if you'd "like" my page while you're there.  Thanks!




4 comments:

  1. It is refreshing to see how people have grown up since high school - and even more exciting how some have finally found the Lord and now can know the joy of salvation!

    If you ask the right questions, you will find that those you least expect would ever become Christians, have. Listening to the stories of what people have experienced since high school that have brought them to where they are today makes going to a reunion that much more interesting for me.

    One of the "kids" who always picked on me in high school and hung with the wild crowd talked with me on an amazingly deep level at the reunion. He posed the question that many people never talk about - why do bad things happen to good people? and why do bad people seem to escape from bad things - get away with it. He said that he couldn't understand why someone like him had been spared bad things. Despite all the drinking and avoiding God in his life, he is still relatively healthy; yet, he looks at me, someone who has been a good girl all my life, and sees what I've had to face - cancer and a handicapped child - and yet I still carry on. I didn't have time to get theological but the long and short of it is that God loves us and has a plan for our lives.

    If the things I've experienced in my life help others take a second look at their own lives and wonder what enables me to hang in there, God has used my challenges for His purposes. Others want some of that! Our lives and how we live them are the testimony that He can use to bring people around to where He wants them so He can save them.

    Even at reunions, we unknowingly plant seeds that eventually get watered and grow into something beautiful. I'm hoping I've planted some seeds at our class of 1978 reunion.

    I'm glad I went, if for no other reason but to demonstrate to others that God prevails and with His help, we can make it despite our trials.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wonderful comments Wendy. Thanks so much for sharing. I know the way you live your life is an inspiration to many people. God is surely using you.

      Delete
  2. I have to say I love my class reunions and have been attending them since they started. Now several of my classmates remain and are best friends. We have a picnic each year and it is wonderful when someone who hasn't been there for awhile shows up. I love reconnecting with people. Glad yours turned out well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. People are just interesting aren't they? It's fun to see what different people do with their lives.

      Delete