Sunday, September 18, 2011

Pied Piper of Calves





Y'all must be so sick of hearing about and seeing scenery from my walks and bike rides.  Sooner or later I'll probably run out of material... but then again, maybe not!  I don't always get pictures of what I see.  This summer I've even seen what I think was a mink (and yes, I love that I made a little rhyme).  It was not a muskrat.  Whether I have an occasional treat of the odd mink, beaver, goldfinch flock, deer, heron or egret, I can always count on the cows.  I love the cows.  And especially the calves.

The cows pretty much ignore me as I pass by.  The calves are a completely different story.  They are fascinated by Ozzie and me.  They stand there watching us, mesmerized while limp grass hangs forgotten from their mouths.  

Ok, this one doesn't have grass, but sometimes they do, and this one is definitely entranced.  The other morning, Ozzie was even more interesting to them than usual.  Watch the Pied Piper of calves in action:


"Whoa, guys!  Look at this! Do you think it's a hereford or what?"

"Oooh.  I'm not sure.  He's so little!"

"It's one weird-lookin' cow!"

"Hey, you guys up there.  Wait up!  We're comin'!"


 It was so funny.  They were lining up and following along with us, until their mommas started mooing at them.  Then suddenly they all got startled and went running away across the field.

 "Kids!  You come away from there, you don't know where that critter's been!"  "Sorry Momma!  We're comin'!"
There's always a rebel in every crowd.  This one didn't listen to his momma.

Do you see why I love cow/calf-watching?  And they're a lot easier to take pictures of than mink.
I may have to get an enlargement of this one made for my wall.  Then I can see cows any time.



1 comment:

  1. Great story....gotta love their curiosity! I especially love the composition of the last picture with the fence in the foreground and the cows in the background!

    ReplyDelete