Thursday, December 13, 2012

What's a Northern Neck?

The Northern Neck is a piece of Virginia that looks like the Rappahannock River is going to split it loose from the rest of the state and  make it fall off  into the Chesapeake Bay. It's really a beautiful spot:  very woodsy, yet there's water and beaches everywhere.  And it's a great place to eat crabs.

My friend, Joy, and I went to visit another friend, Cheryl, who lives there.  Oh, did you two want to remain anonymous?  Well, don't worry, you practically are because not that many people read this blog.  We had so much fun spending a couple of days together.  We were especially glad the Northern Neck survived Hurricane Sandy since we were traveling down there a few days after the storm blew through the area.  They had very little effect from it and we had no trouble driving down.

Here's Cheryl's cute house set in a beautiful location with a lovely woods right behind it.  She even has her own playhouse outside. ;)  We have to go back in warmer weather so we can get the full experience.


She fed us crabcakes and taught me the mysteries of preparing and enjoying grits.  I didn't think I liked grits until I ate Cheryl's cheesy grits.  Now I make breakfast grits for myself a couple of times a week!

She also took us down to the Bay at sunset.  How peaceful and beautiful!

Cheryl and Joy

Cheryl and me

The Three Stooges... er... Amigas



We shopped, ate, redecorated Cheryl's house (at her request) and basically created work for her and her husband.  And we took over her daughter's room.  What a gracious family!

I think this next picture is the Rappahannock River.


On our way home, we saw signs for George Washington's birthplace.  It was only 2 miles out of our way, so of course, we stopped.


George's parents did find a lovely riverside spot for a home.


But, alas, the original house no longer exists, so they built this house sort of where it was in a style sort of like what could have been there, with things inside that are from that time period.  Well, we got the idea.  I loved the big tree framing the house.  Beautiful!



Thanks for a wonderful time Cheryl!  The Northern Neck is a lovely, one-of-a-kind place.  I highly recommend visiting there sometime.  Cheryl's a great hostess, but call ahead.  ;)

3 comments:

  1. Gee Lisa...I guess you didn't realize you were just a hop, skip and jump away from where I live when you were visiting the Northern Neck. You are welcome to stop by the next time you visit your friend. Glad you had a lovely time!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the kind words Lisa! So ready for you guys to head back down and see the changes we've already made!! Pencil spring time in the Neck on your calendar! Next trip we can hit General Robert E Lee's birthplace - I haven't been there yet :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. p.s. It took me 3 tries to prove I'm not a robot - does that mean I am have robotic tendencies? lol

    ReplyDelete